If you live in DC, you know that Metro times can be unpredictable and frustrating. You’ve probably tried a number of apps to help you find the time of the next train and found them to be broken, clunky or complicated. District Commuter aims to fix that problem by providing you with an app that simply “works” – that helps you get where you need to be, when you need to be there.
We pull our train times straight from WMATA so you get the most accurate information available.
Reported train arrival times are not the only thing you need. Often a delay or disruption on another line can affect your trip. We provide updates from @MetrorailInfo so you get the latest on what is happening.
Is the metro not going to get you there on time? We give you an ETA for the nearest Lyft to your location. Access Lyft easily from inside District Commuter under the Next Train tab, just tap for a ride.
First lets make a little distinction between "collect" and "use" as these are two different things that should be important to you.
- When we say 'collect,' we mean information that is sent from your device to our server about you. We try to keep this to a minimum.
- When we say 'use,' we mean we need information from your device to perform an activity, but the information needed is not stored or sent to our servers.
So lets get down to it, what do we collect?
- Your email address. When? Only when you elect to submit feedback through the District Commuter app by clicking out our email address in the "About" section of the app. If you wish to send feedback without an email, use the "Send Feedback" feature, in this case, email is optional so you can send us honest feedback without transferring personal information.
- Location. We collect your device's location so that we can give you Lyft time estimates and show you nearby metro stations. This data is anonymized and is not associated with you, your device, or any other potentially sensitive information related to you. We do not store or share this information.
- Device type, OS version, model, manufacturer, and ID. This information is collected only when you use the "Send Feedback" option. We collect this information to help us identify the cause of any issues you may be experiencing that might be the result of an incompatibility between District Commuter and your device. This information is used only for diagnosing problems, it is not shared with anyone outside the District Commuter development team.